Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Leaving Social Media

Social Networks - Purple Dog Design

I didn’t have an online footprint until I was 12 or 13 years old, much like the young girl in Fast Company’s article “I’m 14, and I quit social media after discovering what was posted about me.” Throughout this article, she talks about how even though she herself has never posted on any social media platform she has an online presence thanks to her family posting about her throughout her childhood. When she finally logged into Facebook and went to her mother’s public page and “saw the pictures that she had been posting on Facebook for years, [she] felt utterly embarrassed, and deeply betrayed.” Personally, my parents did the same thing, but I didn’t think anything of it. It was just my parents sharing events that happened while I was growing up with family and friends, a lot of parents do this so I didn’t think much of it. The key difference between our stories though is that my parents allowed me to see what they were posting before they did it, in her case she was completely oblivious as to what was going on. I can see how this would upset her, but it could have been an easy situation to avoid had there been better communication earlier on. If her parents and sister told her about what they were going to post beforehand, she might have had a better relationship with social media. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Dependence on Technology

The post I’m writing about today is interesting, in that, had it not have been for the global pandemic it could've been writt...